This blog was created for all our family and friends who want to follow us on our travels.

Our next trip is to the USA - and we'll be doing a 5 week trip to: (in order): San Francisco, Las Vegas, Seattle/Redmond, Washington D.C., Tampa, FL, New York City, Phoenix, AZ and Honolulu, Hawaii.

As you can see, that's a fair number of places to travel to in five weeks!

And of course, since Yumi and I are budding photographers - we'll be taking lots of photos along the way - and the best place to read about our travels, and see our photos - is right here.

Click Here to See More Photos of the USA!


Saturday, August 4, 2007

Canal views


Canal views
Originally uploaded by radix999
Didn't do a huge amount today - continued working on WebGUI and started planning how we can start syncing and exposing other parts of Filemaker.
Had lunch with Koen and Bart again and then had a chat with Martin when he arrived at the office in the afternoon.
Bart and I agreed to meet at the train-station the next day at 10.30am, and then we'd head in to Amsterdam together to wander around.

After work I really had no plans, so decided I'd wander around Delft some more and see what else I could do around here. Ended up in the little square with the colourful cow and there was a large ensemble playing some lovely music there so sat down at one of the tables nearby and thought I'd have a beer while listening to the music.
I think I must have sat there for at least 15-20 minutes and neither of the two waiters would catch my eye or acknowledge me at all, so I ended getting up and walking to the next cafe (about 10m away) and sat down there instead. Here I was served promptly and ordered half a litre of Grolsch to drink while I listened to the lovely music.
I ordered a light meal after that and sat there for a bit longer before wandering back to my hotel for the evening.
Bart called me about 8pm and asked if I wanted to join him and hit the bars a bit - so I met up with him an hour later and we started drinking. He knew I was interested in trying a few different beers, so we tried a number of different ones tonight - including Leffe (Triple) - which was the one Patrick recommended, Le Chouffe (a pretty strong beer at 8%), another Grolsch, a Heinekin and a Jupiler pils. Needless to say I was needing some more food by that point so grabbed a doner kebab (which they made with a round roll, not pita bread) from one of the few places still open. We'd been moving around from bar to bar all night to sample these beers, and it was just after midnight, so we headed to his society building (now I'll never spell this right, but it sounds like cornbers or something like that) - Bart, Joeri, Martin, Marijn, Koen and those guys are all longstanding members of the society which is somewhat akin to a drinking fraternity or something like that. They have their own building in the centre of town - a huge building with horned bull statues projecting from it and from the history of the place it used to be a meat market. Martin and Marijn had shown me the place a few nights earlier, but tonight it was set up as somewhat of a disco for young people. I felt out of place here really, most of the kids there in their late teens and early 20's - so I stuck around long enough to have a final drink, said my farewells to Bart and then headed back to my hotel - pretty tired and while not actually drunk - a bit buzzed. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Jesse & Yumi!
Spent about an hour now reading your stories and watch your pictures! Very nice ones! Fun to read about my own town and see the pictures from the top of the Nieuwe Kerk, I really should climb it sometimes...
One thing to complete your story: the club we are a member of is called "de Koornbeurs", meaning wheat market as that is what it was used for centuries ago... Now we are in it, we call ourselves a youth society. Similar to a student society, but not like the large fraternities with all their rules and traditions. We are more of an alternative place :-)

Well, enjoy your tour! I'll certainly come back here and read some more!

Bye,
Marijn